Tuesday 14 April 2015

What does it mean to have confidence...? Guest post from Kerry Montgomery

Sorry to harp on about it (I think this is my third post mentioning this), but the trip to The Ideal Home Show was brilliant and a great chance for me to meet others! Whilst only Brenda was a fellow #BaldHeadedBeauty, I did get the chance to meet another very interesting lady, before cementing our contact via Twitter! Kerry was another show participant and is also a researcher at Sheffield University, studying the effects of, and potential ways to support those living with visible skin conditions including acne and alopecia. We asked her to tell her story of Body Confidence and this is what she wrote...

If someone had told me ten years ago I would be on a catwalk in front of a large crowd of people I would have laughed, but over the last month I have spent three days taking part in Katie Piper's catwalk show: Confidence: The Secret.

So a bit about me, I was born with a genetic condition called Crouzons syndrome; the condition affects the appearance of the face and skull. It has been a struggle, particularly as a teenager; my parents tried to make things as normal as possible for me but time off school due to surgery and hospital visits meant my teenage years were a little different. School can be a difficult place for anyone who is set apart from the ‘norm’ - looking back I realise now if it hadn't been the way I looked, I would probably have been singled out for doing my homework on time, or getting good grades.  People would ignore me or call me names or threaten me. How I looked elicited such a strong reaction that I was actually assaulted because of it. I remember being chased home by five boys a few years older than me; I managed to make it home, bang on the door and my step dad chased them away - I was about 12 at the time. The reactions of other people severely affected my confidence as a teenager and young adult, it would stop me going out socially and I would be afraid of meeting new people because of worry about their reactions. I felt different to everyone else, and I didn't like my face, so much so that I decided that I wanted to have further reconstructive surgery. I was told it would have no medical benefits but it could ‘improve’ the appearance and shape of my face. I thought long and hard about it and decided that in order to feel better this was what I needed to do. However it wasn't to be, I woke up expecting my face to look different but the surgeons felt the procedure too risky and stopped the surgery - I was heartbroken.

That’s when I realised that this was it - this was what I looked like and it wasn't going to change. For me, this certainty helped. Looking back now, in some ways I'm glad the surgery didn't go ahead. It made me think about appearance and what it meant to me and the people I loved. All the negative reactions had come from people who I wouldn't ever dream of associating with - so why was I concerning myself with that? I don’t feel my appearance defines me as a person, when I describe myself it doesn't factor into it. I wouldn't say I think about the appearance of my face very often. I have everyday worries about my weight, my height, getting the right fit in clothes. I take care of myself and think about what to wear or my hair - as Katie would say it’s about being the best version of myself that I can be.

When the charity asked me about being involved in the show I wanted to be part of it because of the message: that living with a visible difference does not define who we are, and we can be confident, and look confident. Traditionally on catwalks there is a view that to be on stage you need to be what society deems as ‘beautiful’, but who defines beauty anyway - where does this come from. It's changed over time - previously the curvy figures of Marilyn Monroe and such like were sought after, and now this has changed to coveting the size 0 body. Beauty products are modelled by people with flawless skin and perfect hair - so what about the rest of us who don’t fit the mould, who look different to the women on the adverts and on the TV? We still use the products and wear the clothes so surely fashion and beauty needs to take this into consideration?

It’s been a journey getting to this place, to be able to stand on a catwalk in front of people and feel confident and I'm sure there will always be days when I look in the mirror and wish things were a bit different, but that doesn't make me different to anyone else. My appearance does not stop me doing things; sure when I first meet people I wonder how they will respond, but in my head now I think if someone is going to judge me, or respond to me in a negative way based on my appearance then I don’t really want to be around them anyway!

Doing the show I was lucky enough to meet amazing, beautiful women, and their stories touched me in some way. Everyone had overcome something very challenging and difficult and when that happens we have a choice, and the women I met all decided to fight and not let their difference define them. This strength came shining through as confidence, a confidence that they could do what they set their mind to and not be held back by negative views of others. Indeed one affirmation was ‘happiness is not comparing yourself to others.’  

My affirmation was ‘Who I am is enough’. A friend shared this affirmation with me, and to me it means that I don’t need to try and be someone else or seek to be different from who I am. I feel it has a powerful message.


I am passionate about helping people who are experiencing distress related to living with a visible difference, particularly social anxiety. My research at Sheffield university currently focuses on developing support for people living with skin conditions for example alopecia and acne. For me, my experiences have given me insight and awareness into living with a visible difference and I hope to use this to help others.

Kerry.

Kerry at The Ideal Home Show with Katie Piper and fellow models

I hope you enjoyed this post and if anyone has any questions for Kerry about her or her research, please let us know and we can put you in touch! We're looking forward to more updates from Kerry about her work progress in the future and wish her the best of luck!

Victoria x

www.prettybald.co.uk Twitter: @PrettyBald

No comments:

Post a Comment