Tuesday 7 April 2015

Look mummy, she has hair...!

It's known that kids have little or no filter when it comes to speaking their mind, and the younger they are, the worse that can get. However, it's not always a bad thing and whilst their honesty can sometimes be an embarrassment to parents and recipients alike, this refreshing honesty usually isn't malicious and can have some surprising side effects too.

During my stay at the Grange Holburn Hotel, I ventured into the health facilities, making the most of complimentary access to a steam room and sauna. As usual, I wandered around without my wig, and felt perfectly comfortable in the relatively calm and quiet environment. Whilst there, a little boy and his mum hopped into the pool, making the most of their membership during the half-term days. I relaxed, they played and then I coincidentally found myself in the changing room at the same time as three-year-old Arthur and his mum Victoria.

As I dressed, I inevitably reached the final part of my outfit and swiped my favourite wig off the bench. I aligned it in my hands and then tipped my head forward, pulling the elasticated band down over my scalp. As I reverted upright, I turned in time to see Arthur looking at me intently before turning to his mum and saying "Look Mummy, now she has hair!". It took me a second, I blinked and then in the moments that followed I couldn't help but guffaw with laughter. My lack of hair hadn't phased this very cute little boy, nor had the fact that I opted to wear a wig, but instead this three-year-old was fascinated with the seemingly magic trick of growing my hair in ten seconds. I checked with his mum if we could speak and then bent down to chat to this fascinated little boy. 'It's a wig' I said. 'Why?' he asked. 'I have a condition called Alopecia; one day I woke up and my body decided I'd look better without hair so it all disappeared.' 'Oh' he said; 'I like that'.

I then proceeded to chat to his mum (another Victoria) who was making the most of the electricity / running water as her own house was currently cut off by the fire in Holburn. As we chatted, Arthur interrupted again, an intense and irresistible look on his face as he said "You should have two" referring to my wigs. "I do", I said. "In fact I have lots". "What colour are they?" he demanded. "All brown", I replied. "That's what suits me best". Arthur fell silent for a few more seconds, then looked at me intently "I like all the colours" he said "you should have them all."

For me, this was an absolutely wonderful exchange and once again reinforced the fact that negative judgements are more likely to come from adults than kids. In my experience, kids are more readily willing to take things at face value, and accept things just the way they are, adding their own innocent and touching insights if you'll simply give them a chance. The other slightly bitter sweet realisation this gave me is just how strong an influence parents have over children as they grow, and that until adults learn to accept and embrace difference, we're likely to continue seeing generations or young individuals that are unkind and unfair.

Still, for now, Arthur offered me a moment or two of reflection and a moment or two more of laughs and for that I'm grateful to him and his mum. Not having any hair didn't make me 'different' and therefore unwelcome in his eyes, just another person to have a conversation with! Perfect

Victoria x

www.prettybald.co.uk Twitter: @PrettyBald

No comments:

Post a Comment