Saturday 18 April 2015

Hairloss... Why you're not failing...

Today, I read a really interesting interview in The Telegraph, chronicling the hairloss journey of Alya Mooro at the age of 23. One thing that straight away captured my attention was her assertion that she felt like a 'failure' for suffering from hairloss.

For me, this was never something that I experienced - many other emotions graced my brain, from inconsolable sobbing feeling like I'd never get through it, to a strange denial detachment that felt like burying my head in the sand. Never once though did I feel like a failure - in fact I frequently felt that others were failing me by being ill-equipped to properly advise or support. That said however, something I have definitely learned along this journey - you cannot predict how someone will feel on a day-to-day basis, how they will handle the situation and whether they will focus on finding a cure, or become a #BaldHeadedBeauty who embraces their hairloss. Feeling like a failure wasn't in my remit, but that doesn't mean it's wrong - simply sad.

Whatever the emotion you're feeling, and however it affects you, something you're not is a failure! Yes, it may feel like it, but in reality, it's not like hairloss or alopecia is simply preventable - if it was they'd have found a cure by now and would be advocating a healthier diet, or less chemicals or something else, simply to prevent the 'problem'. Failure by definition is 'not achieving the end goal' and it's not like we have a goal of 'having a full head of hair' or even consider it until the hairloss starts to happen. It doesn't diminish the feelings though and it doesn't mean you'll feel them any less!

I always find reading stories like this so interesting - it reminds me of how far I've come, as well as showcasing the diversity of hairloss experiences, which is just so important to give a sense of perspective!

Victoria x

www.prettybald.co.uk Twitter: @PrettyBald

No comments:

Post a Comment