Tuesday 31 March 2015

Sometimes it hurts...!

Before you jump to conclusions, I'm not being emotional here; I'm referring to the oft-times physical pain that comes with medical hairloss! This isn't the same for everyone, but as a rough estimate, about 45% of people I meet also experience pain as they lose their hair, same as I do. Ironically, roughly the same number also experience a burning / painful / itchy sensation as it grows too!

On the scale of 1 to 10, 10 being excruciating, this pain would probably be better described as discomfort and would be graded a 1 or 2. In fact, it's probably comparable to a papercut; BUT that's not the point! Right now, I am sat on the sofa with a sore, pulsing, hairfree eyebrow, and a tender, painful to touch scalp! Initially, when this first starting happening, I remember thinking - you have to be kidding me, but now, I'm more simply resigned to this added discomfort!

From the little research I can find, it appears the pain is a result of the auto-immune attack, where the immune system is attacking not only the hair, but some of the healthy cells and the follicles themselves. The result is this minor level of discomfort, which is apparently entirely normal, but nevertheless a frustrating side effect! In the meantime, it's a bit of a joke my eyebrow hurts BEFORE the hairs even grow, but I guess that's what they call life!

Anyone else get this problem?

Victoria x

No comments:

Post a Comment