Saturday 21 February 2015

"It's Just Hair"

That god awful line people use time and time again in an effort to support those experiencing hair loss! If it's just hair, why don't I see more men and women walking around with dodgy buzz cuts, replicating a patchy alopecia areata type do? Why aren't more people going for the one-eyebrow-missing style?

Because the hair on our bodies is precious (some parts more than others, ey?!) and by downplaying the importance of our missing 'fro, our family, friends and acquaintances think they're helping us. It's not their fault really though, is it? It's one of many awkward situations where we just don't know what to say to comfort somebody going through a difficult time.

However, while those three little words do infuriate me, I can sometimes look at the bigger picture and I hope I can inspire you guys to do the same.

I have alopecia. I have something wrong with my immune system which has caused me to lose my hair but otherwise, I'm well. I have a loving family, supportive (although mental) friends, a job I love and I'm filing my life with as much enjoyment as possible.

I've discovered others with the condition that have completely enlightened me. They've given me advice, shared their experiences with me, we've raised awareness together, supported each other and they've become my friends. People I would have never have met had I not lost my hair!

In a twisted turn of events, this condition has made me a more thoughtful, more considerate, more resilient and understanding person. I see life from a different perspective than I did before… and that's crazy!

What would my life have been like if I were ordinary? What kind of person would I have been? I don't even care to think about it.

Be it divine intervention or not, everything that has happened to me – and has happened to you – has done so for the greater good. When you're feeling down, remember all the positives because I can guarantee you there are more than you think!

If any of you reading this need any advice, support or a simple chat about your hairloss, don't hesitate to get in touch with any of us here at Pretty Bald (twitter below). Reaching out and seeking help could be the beginning of something great for you.

Much love, Kay x

www.prettybald.co.uk Twitter: @PrettyBald



No comments:

Post a Comment