Sunday 8 February 2015

How do you store your Wig / Alternative Hair?

If you only own or wear a single wig then storage is pretty straightforward! A head or wig stand available from most places will suffice and shouldn't take up too much room. I on the other hand own twelve different styles (with a desire for more), which I switch regularly and match to my outfit. Short, long, curly, straight, synthetic and human hair, I've got it covered; but with all of those wigs, just where do I store them?

When I lived with my parents and had plenty of my own space, my wigs were everywhere; you'd find wig stands, heads, probably one over a lampshade* and one on the banister knob*! Then, I moved into my boyfriend's one bedroom flat where things were a lot less spacious! T is very supportive of me; my alopecia doesn't bother him and he still tells me I'm beautiful. He also won't stand in the way of me having wigs - as many as I want - but he drew the line at having twelve heads around his flat to store them. Apparantly it just isn't his kind of decor 😉 Anyway, when I moved in, I had to find a neat, compact and stable method for storing my wigs and one which kept them safe and secure! I puzzled and pondered but no matter how long I thought about it, I couldn't come up with a solution! Then I searched online for neat storage and came across a store fitting shop which offered gridwall in all sorts of formats, along with millinery hooks to support hats or similar items! As I couldn't drill holes to add gridwall to the walls, I opted for a freestanding metal unit; it has a wide foot and can support racks on both sides. I've bought millinery hooks (usually used for hats) and these fit nicely into the cap of the wig. Eh voila!

I can adjust the height and distance apart and adapt it exactly to my wigs! T and my landlord were happy and my wigs are accessible! Thankfully, we've bought our own house together and things are a little less cramped, so I'm looking at some more stylish storage solutions, but if you're looking for an affordable, compact and accessible storage solution, gridwall can be great!

My gridwall:


I'll keep you posted if I find or opt for anything different in the near future! 

Victoria x

*P.S. these aren't recommended wig storage methods 😉

www.prettybald.co.uk Twitter: @PrettyBald

No comments:

Post a Comment